Monday, May 30, 2011

Distractions

Distractions are pretty much inevitable, in every aspect of life. They happen to everyone, and they don't discriminate race, religion, or job description.

Sometimes these distractions are really bad. Car problems, money issues, death in the family, and so on. Other times, they aren't so bad. Sometimes it's a new job, or a vacation, or an unexpected windfall. But that still pulls you away from what you're supposed to be focusing on.

For me, right now, there are so many things distracting me from my writing. I just got a job, one where, if I work hard enough, and long enough, I'll be promoted through the company in no time. And I really need the money. I'm looking for an apartment, currently living out of boxes and suitcases. I'm praying that my car will survive for a few month longer.

And that's kind of how life goes. But it's so frustrating sometimes. Especially right now, when I'm feeling inspired and encouraged to write--but I don't have the time. And when I do have the time, I distract myself with television marathons, trips to the library--even writing blog posts like this one. I feel kind of like I'm sabotaging myself--if life doesn't get in the way, I'll find a way to procrastinate.

So I've decided to start setting some goals. I need to spend x amount of time writing this week, and y amount of time editing. I think that'll help a lot. I'll post my goals as soon as I have them all worked out and hopefully that will save me from at least some of the distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment